Gauteng’s facilities are equal to the best in the world. These include well established and equipped post-production digital facilities as well as audio, graphics and animation houses.
The province houses a Kodak-approved full service film laboratory, the only high-resolution facility working with Spirit Data cine, 24p and 3D graphics as well as Flame, Inferno and a Kodak lightning film recorder.
While the television system in South Africa is PAL, both PAL and NTSC post production can be accommodated. High definition transfers and recordings are also available.
Equipment rental companies in Gauteng offer the latest in camera, sound and lighting equipment. South Africa is able to compete on even terms with international rates, and in most instances offers greater value for money than comparative international budgets.
In early 2010 the Gauteng Film Commission (GFC) conducted a survey of the studio space available in the province and the facilities they offer local and international filmmakers.
The definition of "studio" is broad, and to cover all options would be impractical, so the survey focused only on studios able to offer services needed by the film and TV industry - cinematography, TV broadcasting and programme origination. The result is to comprehensive A to Z Guide to Studios in Gauteng, which can be downloaded in PDF format.
- Download the A to Z Guide to Studios in Gauteng (PDF, 3.8 MB)
All the studios in the guide provide services to the film and TV industry, and the information is correct as of January 2010. However, the information is subject to change and details should be confirmed by the studios concerned.
Twenty studios feature in the guide, listed in alphabetical order:
- Atlas Studios, Milpark, Johannesburg
- Camera Facilities, Kensington B, Randburg
- Clive Morris Productions, Ferndale, Randburg
- D3 Studios, Balfour Park, Johannesburg
- Foghound Studios, Midrand
- Genesis Studio, Rivonia, Sandton
- Global Access, Johannesburg CBD
- Gold Island Studios, Midrand
- Henley Television Facilities, Auckland Park, Johannesburg
- Jelly Bean Studio, Midrand
- Lonehill Studios, Lonehill, Johannesburg
- M-Net Broadcast Services, Randburg
- Q Studios, Kew, Johannesburg
- Realtime Pictures, Linden, Johannesburg
- Red Pepper Pictures, Linden, Johannesburg
- Sasani Studios / ZSE TV, Highlands North, Johannesburg
- Senepe Studios, Silverton, Pretoria
- Stark Studios, Fontainbleau, Randburg
- The Production Works & Avery Studio, Melville, Johannesburg
- Urban Brew Studios, Ferndale, Randburg
Do you have a studio that offers similar services? Contact us for inclusion in the next edition of the guide:
Gauteng Film Commission
Tel +27 11 085 2200
Fax +27 11 833 0282