Who We Are
The Gauteng Film Commission (GFC) develops, promotes and coordinates the film and television production industry in South Africa's wealthiest province. An agency of the Gauteng Provincial Government, we are tasked with positioning the province as a world-class destination for film-making as well as attracting local and international investments in the film and television industry.
Our core business is to facilitate and enhance the contribution of the industry to the economic growth of the province. The GFC markets Gauteng, with its world-class industry infrastructure, recognised expertise and wide range of locations, as a destination of choice. We also act as a centralised industry intelligence hub and ensure that people across Gauteng can experience the magic of cinema.
We work with industry, government agencies and other key stakeholders, advising on the development and growth of a sustainable audiovisual industry. We support the transformation of this sector into a world-class industry and our vision is to cultivate an environment that allows it to play a meaningful role in the socioeconomic development of Gauteng.
The Gauteng Film Commission is a member of the Association of Film Commissioners International.
- Our Vision
- Our Mission
- Our Strategic Objectives
- Our Core Function
- Our Brand
- Top Management
- Our Values
Making Gauteng an innovative world-class hub for the film and television industry.
To cultivate, facilitate and enhance an environment that allows the film and television industry to play a meaningful role in the socio-economic development of Gauteng.
- To promote Gauteng as film location and production hub of choice
- To coordinate data collection, analysis and dissemination
- To facilitate, enhance and support production capacity, audience and content development
- Support greater access to and participation in the audiovisual industry by previously disadvantaged individuals and communities
- To promote the social and economic value of film to all Gauteng's citizens
- To inform, shape and influence the national and provincial agenda on the audiovisual industry
- To improve efficiency and effectiveness in the management of GFC resources and processes
The Gauteng Film Commission aims to be a leader in the film and television industry through harnessing Gauteng's outstanding industry infrastructure, recognised technical and creative expertise and unique and wide-ranging locations, by:
- marketing Gauteng as a location of choice
- acting as a centralised industry intelligence hub and resource
- working with, and providing advice to industry, government agencies and other key stakeholders about the support, development and growth of a sustainable audiovisual industry
- promoting and celebrating an active screen culture across the province, and
- supporting the transformation of the sector into a world-class industry reflective of South Africa in its entirety.
The GFC has been mandated to build a strong destination brand for the Gauteng film industry and has committed itself to marketing Gauteng as an internationally celebrated global city region through film. Representing the hub of the South African film industry, the Commission's brand seeks to reflect the vibrancy, diversity and colourfulness of the greater Gauteng region.
In support of the brand the GFC has adopted the slogan "Big Ideas, Perfect Locations" to market the wide-ranging production services and locations on offer in the province. To promote awareness of locally made and supported films the GFC utilises the sub-slogan "Made in Gauteng".
- Chief Executive Officer – Vacant
- Chief Financial Officer – Elliot Maluleke
- Senior Manager Marketing – Vacant
- Senior Manager ISD – Vacant
- Legal Advisor and Company Secretary – Anthea Mokoena
Our values complement the Batho Pele principles which all state employees are required to uphold.
- Progressive and innovative
- Passion, excellence and commitment
- People development and empowerment
- Efficiency, accountability and transparency
Should clients of the GFC feel that they have not been serviced in a manner consistent with these principles they may forward their complaints in writing to:
Gauteng Film Commission
6th Floor, 56 Main Street
PO Box 61601
Tel: +27 (0) 11 833 0409
Fax: +27 (0) 11 833 0282